wisdom teeth says...

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Today feels like monday. Its feels like that because I've been sick and missed work the first couple of days this week. I've had a nasty cough for a week or two but sunday night it got so bad that I couldn't sleep so monday morning I woke up, called in sick, and made a doctor appointment for 10:30. It turns out I have bronchitis which sounds worse than it is but after two days off I've used all my sick leave so I'm back at work.

So sunday night I sucked up the coughing fits and went to see the Zombies. It was almost exactly like I thought it would be - old guys trying their best but sometimes not pulling it off. Really, that't not fair, though. It was only two of the original guys - Colin Blunstone and Rod Argent and they split the set bewteen Zombies songs and Argent songs/new stuff. The Zombies songs were really great. They did about half of Odessy and Oracle and all the early hits plus their very first single - Gershwin's "Summertime" which they closed the show with. These were amazing. Blunstone's voice is perfect. I was enthralled.

But... like all reunion type shows there was a downside. Rod Argent, who was one of the two main songwriters for the Zombies, had quite a successful career after the band split when he formed his own band called, well, Argent. Their two big hits were Hold Your Head Up and God Gave Rock and Roll To You (which you may remember Kiss performing on the soundtrack to Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure). So they had to play Argent songs. Eh. Also, they had "new" songs. Why? Why? I dunno. But, hell, what am I complaining about? Colin Blunstone singing the phone book would be better than most of the crap I pay money to see every week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home