wisdom teeth says...

Tuesday, July 30, 2002

I was feeling terribly irritable and restless when I got home from work yesterday. Maybe it was too much sugar and caffeine (conveniently put together in dr.pepper) or too much time in traffic on the way home but my whole body and mind felt like it wasn't put together right. So to remedy this, I did what any normal person would do. I grabbed my roommate and went drinking.

We made it to Lovejoy's around 7:45 - just in time to get our first round during the last, fleeting, golden moments of happy hour. I had the American Beer Month IPA. Joe had Honey Meade (I just wasn't feeling viking enough for meade.) The best part, I find, about going to Lovejoy's early, aside from happy hour prices and lack of crowds, is that there are usually a number of free plays on the jukebox. I played Velvet Underground, Van Halen and Al Green. Joe played Pong, Murder City Devils (doing a misfits cover appropriately enough) and The Pougues.

As we were sitting at our booth, The Enigma came and sat at the booth next to us with a rather large group. For those of you who don't know, The Enigma is the guy from the Jim Rose circus with puzzle tattoos all over his body (including face) and horns embedded in his skull. There's really not a story here, but I just like sitting next to a guy with puzzle tattoos on his face and horns.

As the night wore on, pitchers were bought and drunk (mostly by Joe, as I had to drive us home and I had to maintain a nice, warm buzz, yet not get trashed.) Joe and I discussed (aka argued) a great range of completly fruitless subjects. Here are our main points, I believe...

me--> There is great chance and void right now in independent publishing just waiting for someone to come along and apply punk rock, DIY ideas to books. Someone just needs the break the market.

Joe--> Brothers years Beach Boys' albums are the best and most underrated, particularly Sunflower. Dennis Wilson was the unrealized genius of the band but he wasted his energy on sex, booze and pills.

me--> Yeah, Samuel R. Delany is one of the best writers around.

Joe--> Yeah, Samuel R. Delany is one of the best writers around.

(Disclaimer!!! These are summaries and do not accurately reflect the words spoken.)

So we headed home around 11:45. I had to work this morning. I can't be out all night drinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home