wisdom teeth says...

Thursday, July 11, 2002

I finally went through all the boxes I got from my parents. The big one which I hadn't opened yet (for fear of a hernia while carrying it up the stairs) turns out not to be full of books (as I thought it was) but all sorts of junk. There were books in there but mostly it was a big pile of zines from a few years ago and bags full of cassettes. I had just figured I lost all this stuff in one of my thousand moves in the past couple of years. I haven't seen looked at the stuff in this box since at least 1999.

The best thing I found was a note left for me by a girl I was dating (kinda) before I moved to Austin. She had come by while I was gone after we'd had a phone conversation in which I was being all pissy and weird (as I was and still am apt to do - especially with her since we were only kinda dating meaning she was seeing someone else at the same time.) Anyhow, it was a nice little note inundated with her pervasive optimism that still makes me smile. I'm glad to know that at least at some point I was the recipient of notes like that.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Have I ever mentioned on here that in addition to do solo stuff as The Wisdom Teeth I also play guitar in a band called The Soft Set. We had band practice last night. I've really gotten so that I loath band practices (in general, not just with the soft set.) They are, however, a unavoidable evil if you plan on playing show ever. This wasn't too bad. It was short and we worked on new songs. I think we're going to do some recording a week from saturday. I wish I could convince them that digital recording is a bad, bad idea even if its free (or close to it.) Bands with guitars and drums and singers should always go to tape. If you got sequencers and a drum machine, digital is fine but somehow it manages to squeeze the life out of standard band performances every time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home