wisdom teeth says...

Monday, June 27, 2005

It was quite a weekend. Friday night I had planned to make a nice, quiet dinner for my friend Angie and myself. I had gone to the store and bought everything I needed to make potato curry and raita. So I was back at home chopping some fresh mint for the raita when, like the genius I am, I managed to chop off a nice chunk of my fingertip. It took me a minute to figure out the hell had happened but sure enough the side of my left middle fingertip was gone and in it's place a neat little divot. I ran it under water while trying to figure out how bad it was and when it kept on bleeding and bleeding, I decided to go to the ER. Luckily I live about a block from a hospital so I wrapped my finger in a paper towel and walked over there.

After I checked in I called Angie to inform her that dinner was off because I'd had a bit of an accident. She, very sweetly, offered to come an sit w/me in the ER. So I sat there and bled. Angie showed and we sat there while I bled more. Utilizing my vague boy scout memories, I applied direct pressure and kept my hand elevated. Finally, after about two and half hours I got in. By then the bleeding had pretty much stopped so all they did was wrap it up in send me home. There was no way to do stitches (how could you stitch up your fingertip?) They recommended a tetanus shot which I declined because, well, I hate getting shots. I feel safe about this, though. I keep my knife very clean.

You never realize how much you use your left middle finger until you can't anymore. Mainly, I'm unable to play guitar until it heals which majorly sucks. Bass and I can manage, but not guitar. Typing - also manageable but a bit difficult.

Saturday was quite memorable, also, although with less blood. My roommate, Kevin, has been out on tour with Spoon being a roadie/equipment guy. Saturday they all got back in town and there was a big homecoming show at Stubb's. So after initially telling me he couldn't get me in, we decided just to try the most direct route and have me sneak in with him by walking behind him with his official badge. It worked fine. Got me to the dressing room for a few free beers. Then I got paranoid about getting thrown out and managed to convince Ben, spoon's manager and my old record label guy, to get me an actual pass for the show.

The show itself was great. I've never been a huge Spoon fan but they've grown on me greatly. I really dig the new record. Before they played, we got to see the Clientele who were just awesome and who also, earlier in the day, broke Kevin's pinky finger while throwing around a nerf football.

So after the show managed once again to get to the little dressing room area which got crowded very quickly. By this time I'd been drinking for 4 or 5 hours so when I was handed a bottle of maker's mark I was quite happy to start guzzling out of it. Not the best idea I ever had. Pretty soon I had to get out of there.

Went over to beerland to see an old friend/bandmate who was in town. Greg was there, too, so we had a brief band reunion except for our pothead-turned-pcp-weirdo drummer. I barely remember being there. Ug. Then over to jackalope to meet up with a bunch of friends. It was there I made a complete fool of myself with a certain girl. I was utterly embarrassed and upset. I turned around and walked straight out of the place without any goodbyes. I totally flipped for a minute there. I drove myself home (there's a good idea!) and sat there steaming for a bit, drinking water to help with the inevitable hangover. Lucky for me, Leroy (our old roommate who just moved back to town) had left his bike at our place and he showed up very shortly after I got home so he was the recipient of all my venting. Poor guy.

So that was the weekend in review. I still feel like a dumbass for friday night (the finger cutting incident) and for saturday night (the me opening my drunk mouth incident.) This is now officially dubbed the dumbass weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home