wisdom teeth says...

Thursday, April 21, 2005

I was going to post this as a comment on a friend's livejournal but decided that I didn't want to start up another round of debate/argument on the smoking ban thing. So here's my comment out of context...

"You know, all this goes to show how that, to many people, there's no social ill or inconvenience, however small, that can't be solved by a little government regulation/intervention."

Despite my being rather loudmouthed about this whole thing at times, it's important to remember that just because you disagree with someone, it doesn't make them a bad person or any less your friend. Shit has been getting pretty heated sometimes.

Over the years, I've learned to keep my mouth shut on a myriad of things to avoid long, overblown, hyperbolic arguments where in the end I'm either a) racist or b) an unwitting tool of a huge capitalist conspiracy. I think many of the people who get so bent out of shape in this particular debate are folks who'd normally think of themselves as "progressive" or whatever and for once they're on their heels being told that they're the ones without the moral highground. I think there has been more than one instance of me taking a bit of pleasure in berating people over the smoking ban.

All I know is that the idea that I or anyone else could get a fine/go to jail for smoking a cigarette in a bar is the most absurd thing ever. Don't forget that this law will also, in effect, deputize all bar owners/workers (whether they like it or not) because they will be the primary enforcers of this ban (or they themselves will be subject to some nice fines). Aren't there many more worthwhile things for citizens and police to be doing besides being the smoking patrol. Nevermind that they sell crack 1/2 a block from the main police station downtown.

So look at what I just wrote, even as I'm trying to say something about nicely tolerating other peoples' opinions I couldn't help but try to get a dig in.

But as I've said here before, none of this really matters. They'll will win soon enough. Maybe not this time but the next. or the next. They've got money (lots of it) and sure sense that they know what is best for everyone.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH! BAUSCH & LOMB IS NUMBER ONE!

fuckity.

xoc

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can agree to disagree, just as long as you don't call me a sellout, claim that I'm killing your scene, or say you're going to spit in my face. :)

-C

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home