wisdom teeth says...

Friday, January 28, 2005

Today I finally got to the bottom of one of life's deepest mysteries - what the hell do English monetary terms mean? Thanks to wikipedia, I now know that there used to be 20 shillings in a pound and 12 pence in a shilling (240 pence in a pound) but in 1971 they changed the system and now there are 100 pence in a pound and that shillings no longer exist (except that some call a five pence coin a shilling). Also, a "bob" is old slang for a shilling, as in, "I got a pint of bitter for three bob."

Also, I weigh 13.57 stone.

Oh shit, I forgot to mention Project Gutenberg. It's a website/organization that puts public domain books up on the web as ebooks. I was reading The Magician by W. Somerset Maugham earlier today. This site is pretty rad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home