wisdom teeth says...

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

I am seriously considering working some overtime today. I am not one to usually stay at work after being able to leave but I'm considering it. Seriously.

After flying through two VS Naipaul books I'm about half way through The Moon and Sixpence by W Somerset Maugham. The impetus for the Maugham reading was in the Naipaul book Half A Life in which the narrator's father once met Maugham while he (Maugham) was touring India and then gave his son the middle name Somerset.

I've turned into quite the fan of British lit of the last 100 years or so - both Amis's, Graham Greene, Naipaul (of Indian heritage, born and raised in Trinidad and educated in England - that counts as British to me) and now Maugham. In fact, my favorite two novels are now The End of the Affair and Lucky Jim. Brits, I find, have a great sense of humor and tremendous amount of style in their writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home