wisdom teeth says...

Thursday, July 18, 2002

I went to My Morning Jacket last night. It was a strange show. First of all, it started at 6pm and Jacket played second so they were on at 7pm. Watching bands when its still light outside is strange. It felt like sxsw or something. Secondly, it was strange because with few exceptions, I was a good five years older than everyone there. Apparently this Ben Kweller fella is big with the 16-20 year old crowd. Who knew?

My Morning Jacket kicked my ass with their Neil Young by way of Flaming Lips reverb-drenched sound. Its been a long time since I saw that much hair on stage at Emo's. I don't think the bubble-gummers knew what to think of them. Some got it, some stood there blankly and yet others thought they were being ironic and funny as hell by whooping and making devil signs. I can't impress on you, the reader, enough how glad I am not to be in college anymore (god forbid high school.) I didn't stay for Kweller.

I know this will make me sound really old but I was damn glad to be home from a show while there is still time in the day. When I was younger I loved staying out watching bands til 2am but then I had to get a real job and get there at 7:30 in the morning. Every morning. I don't think college kids realize how easy they have it. No one makes you sign up or go to that 8am class. Hell, I'd kill to come in at 8am. That extra half hour of sleep would be heavenly. When I was in college I had second year german at 8am for two semesters. I didn't make it in very often yet passed with a C thanks to my great high school german 1 teacher, Frau Spurlen. She was psychotic but, damn, she drilled that shit into me enough to bluff my way through second year college german.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home